In any apartment, the kitchen has a special sacral value besides utilitarian value - there is a "hearth" here, the family gathers for supper and not only, they exchange impressions about the past day, share their thoughts, sometimes arrange friendly gatherings, etc.
In this space there are no trifles, and the question of how to make an apron in the kitchen, sometimes becomes very difficult, given the current possibilities.
- 1 Kitchen apron - materials for its device
- 2 Modern design options for the kitchen
- 3 Can I make a kitchen apron myself?
- 4 Conclusion
Kitchen apron - materials for its device
So, the apron is a vertical zone, located between the work surface and kitchen cabinets or, optionally, in the absence of them - the whole wall. In fact, this is the central zone, which attracts maximum attention. At the same time, this is a zone that is constantly polluted because of its location.
Therefore, the choice of material and the question of how to trim the apron in the kitchen must be approached from two sides: it must be practical and durable material that can withstand constant washing, cleaning, including chemical means, and it should fit into a single concept design of the kitchen, pleasing the eyes of the household.
Ceramic tiles - traditions and classics in one person
The favorite, though slightly offset from the pedestal, is the ceramic tile. She is preferred not only for practicality. Modern tiles are characterized by high aesthetics, a variety of textures, drawings, sizes, shapes, colors. In case the kitchen is equipped with a gas stove, the question is how to make an apron in the kitchen, it is often solved by itself, as the tile is fireproof.
The main drawback, because of which preference is given to other materials, is a rather complicated laying process and a time factor. In addition, if you want to replace it will require a serious repair of the entire room.
As a variant of ceramic tiles, you can use decorative or facing types of brick or natural stone. For bricks, especially for those types that are problematic to clean, a glass surface can be installed on top of the masonry or covered with a transparent varnish, painted with acrylic paint.
Use of decorative panels
When ordering a kitchen set, specialists can advise how to properly make an apron in a kitchen from MDF. This is a fairly budgetary option, in addition, its installation does not take much time and does not require special skills. It is fastened either to the frame with the help of staples, or on a special adhesive.
Often such an apron is a continuation of the kitchen set and forms a single whole with it. The color scheme is chosen either in tone or contrast. But over time, he may lose some of the original appearance, besides being afraid of open fire.
The apron can be made of plastic, the price of which is quite low. But the material is short-lived, easily scratched, and it should be protected from fire and heat.
The mosaic apron is a real work of art, but it is very difficult to manufacture, therefore it is necessary to invite a specialist. All its advantages are the same as those of ceramic tiles, only it is necessary to pay special attention to the seams, since they constitute a rather large surface area.
For them it is necessary to choose especially strong and not subject to moisture formulations, as an option - epoxy grout.
Modern design options for the kitchen
Popularity is acquired by glass variants that have a huge design potential: they can be pasted with wallpaper, make collages from photos, etc. Disadvantages of special material is not. It is environmentally friendly, easy to care for, the only thing to consider is to use only tempered glass.
If there is a desire to move away from tendentiousness - you can arrange a mirror variant. Especially good it will be in a room of small dimensions, allowing to visually expand the space or add light.
Kitchen in the style of high-tech is unlikely to do without a metal apron. But it requires constant and careful care, it can be seen all the fat spots, smudges.
Can I make a kitchen apron myself?
If you know how to make a kitchen apron, then with some experience in building or repair work, it's easy to mount it yourself.
Apron devices in the kitchen of ceramic tiles and decorative bricks
Apron made of ceramic tiles to fold will need some tools:
- tile cutting machine or angle grinder ("Bulgarian");
- spatula with teeth;
- a spatula for rubber;
- It is necessary to be reserved by an emery paper, a sponge or a soft rag.
- the ceramic tiles themselves or decorative bricks (stacking technology is almost identical),
- trowelling compound.
Council. The work should begin when the wall is free from hinged cabinets, tables and other things are pushed aside.
- Beginning of work:
- remove all the sockets, insulate the wires, if necessary, drill a place for new ones and bring the wiring there;
- be sure to prepare the wall surface - align, plaster or putty, if necessary, treat with waterproofing solutions, etc., depending on the initial condition of the wall;
- then the marking is performed, proceeding from the fact that the distance between the working surface and the hanging cabinets is 50-60 cm;
- make the layout of the tile layout. If it is necessary to lay out a pattern - it is better to pre-fold it on the floor in order to take into account all the nuances and make an adjustment to the layout calculations;
- drawing a horizontal line of the bottom row and vertical, which is determined from the center, which, as a rule, passes through the center of the plate or the hood.
- Laying tiles on the wall:
- preparing the adhesive mixture, it is worth considering the speed of work and mixing only the amount that will not have time to freeze before it is used. In more detail informs the instruction to the staff;
- Using a notched trowel, a layer of glue is applied to the surface of the wall, the tool should be kept at an angle to the surface. You can pre-apply the adhesive composition with an ordinary spatula, and then jagged walk - such a light version will help even beginners in this matter to lay the tiles with their own hands;
- The laying then begins at the center of the lower row, first to one side, then to the other. The tile should be gently but firmly pressed against the wall;
- after the row is laid out, it is necessary to remove excess glue and move, thus, upwards;
- if an ornament, a pattern or a panel is to be laid out, one must start from this site;
- it is obligatory between tiles to form seams with "crosses" of the appropriate width;
- the outer tiles or near the sockets need to be cut or cut, for this use a tile cutter or "Bulgarian".
- The processing of joints is carried out not earlier than the next day:
- prepare the trowelling mixture;
- Rubber spatula accurately applied to all seams, gently filling them, hard-to-reach places experienced craftsmen sometimes work with their fingers, as the spatula has nowhere to turn around;
- after the trowelling mixture has dried completely, its residues are very gentle, with the help of a damp sponge or soft cloth, it is removed from the surface of the tile.
Time it all will not take much, since it was not so difficult to make an apron in the kitchen.
Council. When marking it is necessary to add 5 cm above and below to enter the cabinets, in width, as a rule, it goes 15-20 cm beyond the working area
Panel options for the device apron
Independently, you can cope with the device kitchen apron made of MDF, plastic, metal. Many who have not yet decided what kind of apron to make in the kitchen, can stay on the option of glass, which provides great opportunities to show their design talents.
Install it is not difficult, the main thing is to follow some rules of work:
- it is required to perfectly level the wall;
- Installation is only after installation of kitchen furniture;
- make measurements, practice even division into zones, for example, in the central part under the hood, the apron should be somewhat higher;
- order elements in the workshop with mandatory grouting joints for tight fit, the thickness of the glass is not less than 6 mm and necessarily roast;
- background is chosen to your taste, you can use pictures, wallpapers, reproductions or make it yourself, showing your artistic talent;
- paste the background on the wall, using the appropriate adhesive compositions, it is most convenient to work with a self-adhesive film;
- glass elements are applied to the wall in order to correctly mark the places for the holes for fastening;
- with a drill or perforator holes are drilled, into which are mounted dowels under metal fasteners and they themselves;
- on the fastenings, the panels themselves are hung and fixed using wide decorative hats.
That solved an important problem, how to make an apron in the kitchen and how to do it yourself. Now the room has acquired a completely different sound and appearance. Ennoble and decorate the interior of the house is under the power of many. If you have any questions, you may find the answer in the video.